Pages

Thursday 26 September 2013

The wheelbarrow fairy does a good deed

Today was a good deed sort of day for the wheelbarrow fairy. My friend has just had his fire re-opened, and he is living in poverty, beyond heat or eat! So I gave him a fire set..including a poker, some coal and firelighters. He won't be so cold this winter. Last year he was sat in jumpers, hats and blankets as he daren't put his heating on. Thats no way to be in the 21st century. And every thursday I feed him his tea and try to get him to take veg home to eat. As he points out, he can't afford to put the cooker on either, but I try. And at least I know he's had a hot meal once a week!
Anyway... homemade chips for tea...look at them waiting to be cooked..as we grow potatoes, chips are the ultimate cheap food. Icelands greggs sausage rolls...£1.50 so thats 4 fed for £1.50 plus oil and heat!! Cheap and cheerful I can do...not too sure about healthy though.

Amish rhubarb pie. Squidgy and sweet and unhealthy and sooo tasty! Well it has fruit in it! How bad for us can it be?! And we picked potatoes today and we need good old fashioned sustanance. And its..yes you guessed it...CHEAP! And the oven was on:-D And yes, the fairy got the first bit...warm from the oven:-D Woohoo!!

Dehydrated tomatoes - aren't they a lovely colour. And they are so sweet. I know they are supposed to be for storage, but I do like to test them as I go along. At least thats one more thing cleared from the counter in the kitchen, although there are still more tomatoes, but just one big bowl now. I might try blitzing some to make tomato powder, we shall see. And the wilting veg from the bottom of the fridge has been made into soup base and frozen. I do hate wasting celery! Trouble is I'm the only person who likes it as it is, so it will be hidden in soups and stews. What they can't see they don't complain about. Thats how I stretch a pound of mince to at least 8 portions. Oats as filler, at least as much veg as meat, and a good portion of soya mince mixed in. Not one of the menfolk I feed has ever complained or even noticed! Then if you mix any leftovers with some mash and some peppery seasoning it makes great pasty filling..although DS has pointed out its difficult to find the meat in my pasties he always eats them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment