Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Wheelbarrow fairies soup kitchen

Well, this was yesterdays lunch...cheese and potato pie. Now I love cheese and potato pie...its simple and filling and comfort food at its best. But it made me think. This is poverty food isn't it? Leftover mashed potatoes, leftover ends of cheese, seasoning. It's like soup for me...it costs very little as we grow so much veg, and so poverty food as it goes on for days for very little.
I had a look online at the list of things that class you as not living in poverty. I think it was on the BBc website. I suppose I wasn't oversurprised to find that we live in poverty. I know we don't always have what we want. And we all have a big long list of 'things' we'd like.
But there, thats me off again...me and the other 50% of the UK eh?

Outside dad's house there's a grapevine. It used to live in the greenhouse till it got dismantled. Now it grows over the trees. Most years dad used to cut it back at the wrong time of year and complain that there were no grapes. This year, as I was too sad, it got left. This year there are MASSES of grapes! So the purple grape juice production line has started...I think we've got 8 pints so far canned and pretty. The second batch has a secret ingredient...ok not so secret if I tell you!! Elderberries. Up the vitamin c content...and lovely deep colour but not too much flavour! Been drinking it every morning with brekky! Much nicer than orange juice:) And it must be 1 of the 5 a day?! Then there's the stewed apple...in with the oats:) I like to think of it as a good Amish breakfast!! Well...I like the dresses and i can dream.

Elderberries. Lovely, finger staining secret ingredient! sadly it's close to the end of the season but I'll try to get enough to colour the next batches of grape juice...there really are alot of grapes!


The glass of grape juice I'm drinking right now..ok it's not breakfast...but I think it may be addictive:D

And here we have the reason I never have any money!! I have a jar addiction! Or at least thats what OH thinks! I save up... I buy jars! Lovely proper canning jars...good for years to come. It's an investment in my future! Best excuse I can think of..or shall we just call it my hobby?! And they will all be filled with grape juice as the grapes ripen!! YUM!
Oh and the wheelbarrow fairies soup kitchen? Well, when I got divorced the first time..the judge asked my ex if there was anything good he could say about me...he thought for a while and then said...' She makes good soup'. All this veg, and all these people with not much money..I thought I should open a soup kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment