Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Best ever amish rhubarb pie

 One of my favourite Amish cookbooks has a recipe for rhubarb pie that we LOVE! It has been tweaked for british oven. But it is like rhubarb and custard in a pie!!  


start with 6oz pastry (6oz flour 3 oz fat)
And chill it :)
Next we need to go pick sone rhubarb...3 cups to be precise.
Yum! Now, heat the oven to 220 degrees. Then line a pie plate with the pastry.
Next I make the crumb topping or I forget to!
3tbsp flour, 3 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp butter, smushed together...don't melt the butter, trust me..just smush.
Cut the rhubarb into bits and place in pie shell..
Combine 1 1/4 cup sugar,
pinch salt,
2tbsp water
3tbsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
and 2 eggs to make a smooth paste and pour over rhubarb.
Top with the crumbs and bake for ten minutes at the high temperature. Lower heat to 170 degrees and continue to bake for another 30 mins.

PIE!!!! This is one of the best recipes I've found so far for rhubarb...and I've tried a few as we have 2 big clumps and 2 new ones!  And as its custardy you don't need to make custard to go with it!!
BBS x

2 comments:

  1. That looks interesting. Will copy this down and try it. Does it have a special name in the recipe book or is it just rhubarb pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe its just Rhubarb pie :) I think the amish do brilliant pies, and cheap to cook if you grow your own fruit :) Good luck with the pie x

    ReplyDelete