Pages

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Strangely hairy, floral fairy

Ah the budlea (badly spelled) Is out in bloom...and notice anything strange? Yep, purple flowers and white too. A few years ago Jones the steam gave me a pot with lots of small budlea plants in. White and purple. And being a busy litle fairy I forgot to plant them. They grew and grew, grew out through the base of the pot and became one huge budlea bush. Which is truely lovely with its multi coloured blooms. Happy accident :) And the flutterbyes adore it!
Well this little fellow does anyway, i think I scared the rest away!
I've had a little bake....cookies!! Double chocolate chip to be precise. I hadn't made these for a while so they are quite crisp (aka well done!)
DS hasn't complained and they are dissapearing fast! i also had a read of my old vegetarian cookbook. It was the first one I bought in 1990 and I still use it regularly. It is the reason I make great soup :)

I'd never got round to making the homity pies so I thought I'd have a go seeing as potatoes and onions are things we have alot of for free (cheapskate)
Pastry in my glass pie dish, 3/4 lb pots, diced and cooked, 1lb onions fried in 3 tbsp oil, 4oz cheese, tbsp butter, tbsp milk, parsley from the garden, couple of cloves of garlic..in a very hot oven for half an hour or so...
It was surprisingly yummy and OH ate his without complaint! And there was leftovers for yours truely for supper and lunch :D Be glad you weren't near me though as that was ALOT of onion!! DS declared me evil for serving potato pie as he called it with more potato...am I potato mad? Maybe!!

Look at the dress I found in the back of the wardrobe, it came from a charity shop a couple of years ago. I loved the fabric and the 1940's style but hadn't ever found a reason to wear it. So I wore it for work...

Its cool and cotton, roomy and everyone who visited us asked why I was working in my sunday best!! I felt almost Amish with my headscarf on too!! Now I see why they work in dresses. And if I keep wearing it for work it will end up with the 'make do and mend' shabby look for WW2 re-enactment days. I do hate to look too new and shiny when we dress up!
Ah would you look at my lovely china plates I bought for eating cake on! Cake deserves a pretty plate :) 20p each :) (last of the big spenders!)
And finally...when we went on the last girls night out, Looloo said 'There's nothing you could do, or say or wear that would surprise me anymore' Well, I see that as a challenge! Wanna see what my naughty internet wandering fingers found?
Is it me or do I suddenly look 10 years happier? See that naughty grin? I showed Jones the steam and OH and they just stared...yes, maybe I can still surprise!! (Its a wig!!) 
I deserve it after all the hoeing...yesterday I finished rows 17 and 18...then today I started on row 1 again! 
Keep smiling :)
BBS x
 


3 comments:

  1. I've got her book as well. my MiL used to say, if serving a pie, don't serve potatoes as well. I think maybe they got fed up with potatoes by the end of the war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon my lot get fed up with them too! I try not to have potatoes EVERY day..but they are our staple food, they are free therefore...frequent :D Mo x

      Delete
  2. love the Cranks books, been a veggie for 40yrs and I have never done homity pie.but have been thinking of it. the veg crumble is lovely.

    ReplyDelete