Pages

Sunday 3 November 2013

The wheelbarrow fairy and the ancient implement


The wheelbarrow fairy had to help find the ancient implement. Now I know this just look like a clump of weeds and artichokes to most of you, but somewhere under this lot there is a spinner.....

See...there it is!! It wasn't what we thought we were looking for, we both could have swore it looked different! But there you go...and obviously there goes my memory!! Well, we found it...now to get it on a tractor and ready to work....

Well, here it is on the tracor, ready to go! We think it's from the 1950's but I can't find it anywhere researching online! And I figured out that the bent piece of metal sticking out must be for an old sack to stop potatoes whizzing across the field!! This I didn't figure out until AFTER I had noticed them whizzing across the field!! Next we decided to give it a try!
And here it is in action!! Flicking potatoes wonderfully, doing exactly what we hoped, not damaging them and coping with our weedy plot fairly well:D
So there you go, one whole row of potatoes taken up, very old style. With alot of laughter as this thing is FUN! Although health and safety would wet themselves (the PTO shaft is covered so no arm removal possibilities!) It's alot harder work to pick them as they really are flicked quite a distance...(I was quoted as saying 'no wonder land girls were girls..I am far too old for this') at least it gets through on the wet, boggy land where everything else is too heavy and digs in, so it's coming out again on monday!!! With my old leggies luck!! Off to find an old sack to attatch to the 'stop them flying' arm!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment