Pages

Friday 27 September 2013

The wheelbarrow fairy needs clean overalls

Today the wheelbarrow fairy decided to take a look at her stored marrows and pumpkins...it would seem she should have done so earlier, as there were 2 pumpkins gone icky (technical term) and alot of yellow marrows gone slushy! The fairy thought it would be a good idea to carry a whole tray of slimy marrows out to the compost..lifted them up and leant the tray against herself as she carried it...then she felt a moistness...OH DEAR LORD! Runny, smelly marrow slop running down her front! GROSS! Definitley a clean overall moment!!

After the marrow incident..and with clean trousers and shirt (yes the ooze seeped through my overalls!) it was potato picking time again. Below is the row of potatoes ready to be picked. See the hedgerow in the distance? Thats how far the row goes. All picked by hand into little red baskets, then tipped into bags and collected when we're done. Thats alot of bending and once again my legs feel old! I'm fairly sure by the time we've picked the whole field my legs will be used to the different stretch and not hurt anymore..then it will be time for another stretch! Celeriac next. That makes my chest muscles ache as they're tough to pull and take two hands! But each veg has its own moment and its own joy.

And that is the best thing about potato picking. The potato shed starts to look fuller. These have got to last me all winter to sell and eat so the more the merrier! And i do love my potatoes:) preferably with alot of butter:D and of course as chips! And baked..and in a gratin..in fact..I'll eat them most ways:D


After all that work it was time to go 'shopping'. Ok so I walked round the fields with my knife in my hand looking for veg to add to tea. Pasta primavera..well, the cheapskate version! On my little walk around i found..3 courgettes, a few carrots, teeny tiny leeks and some mini brocolli! Lots of lovely, free, colourful veg. With the addition of pretty aldi pasta (32p worth) and aldi cream cheese with garlic (53p) then a tbsp of cheapy parmesan (20p)...a total of £1.05 for three of us with tomatoes on the side!! I do love growing food:D

No comments:

Post a Comment