Pages

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Windy wheelbarrows

The thing about being a farming wheelbarrow fairy (and I use the term farming loosly) is that the weather is everything.
Nowadays a farm is something huge producing things for supermarkets with lots of waste. We are tiny and we just produce things for a couple of wholesalers and the local ladies!! (and for me to eat and can of course!)
Ah yes..the weather. I do sidetrack easily!
This is a picture of the field where the potatoes are this year. It was taken last year. The year of the rain! Under all the water you can see were my carrots. As you can guess they were ruined.
When it rains I find things to do in the house. When it shines I'm outside.
Today was an ouside sortof day..with the odd damp moment!
Today we went gleaning again!
Big potato grower(he's not big but his potatoes are!) throws away all his rubbish in the field. So we went and picked out 15 x 25kg bags of little potatoes suitable for seed potatoes.(with his permission:))
These we will keep in trays over the winter and in the spring we can plant them :) It saved us over £200 for an afternoons gleaning! Now thats a well spent afternoon!

Today I found when rummaging in my dads kitchen...a food flask that I used to take to school when I was a teenager. Now thats some years ago(ok its over 30 years ago but who's counting!!). Now, as my DS wanted to take homemade soup to school we now have a means of transportation. Ok so its a bit 1970's in a yellow and brown fashion...well I'm sure it was 'in' then! So we'll just call it retro then its all ok:) Isn't it a stunner and in it will go...
Wheelbarrow fairies Leek soup for in the 1970's flask3 nice sized leeks chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 medium potato chopped
milk
water/stock
seasoning
small lump of butter/marg/slug of oil
1. Over a low heat, saute the veg in the fat (whatever one is closest) with the lid on for ten minutes.Stir occasionally.
2. Cover with enough milk to just cover veg (its about 1/2 to 3/4 pint ish) and simmer gently for about 20 mins till veg is soft
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Blend till smooth. Reheat gently and enjoy its leeky goodness:)
I love this as all it costs me is the price of the milk and the heat!!
Tightwad alert!!

No comments:

Post a Comment