Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Wheelbarrow fairy-a-roni


It's homemade rice-a-roni day for the wheelbarrow fairy!! For those in the UK, this is an american dry box meal! Sadly its yummy! Mommy lady sent me lots but I was quite sure I could replicate it so as not to cost mommy loads in shipping! First we had a wander and found some ingredients! I wanted broccolli and cheese flavour so off to find broccolli. I'm sure I've spelt that wrong..oh well....in the little chopping device it goes as I want it indistinguishable :D

Yep, thats indistinguishable! Green flecks it is! Now we need a side with our roni...time for another walk...

Uchiki Kuri squash, celeriac, red onion and half a fridge swede it is then! Honey mustard roasted veg it is:)
Right...1 cup of long grain rice, 1 cup of orzo, in a big frying pan with 2 tbsp butter...sizzle till brown.Add....
4cups water
chopped parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tsp boiullon powder
salt to taste
and simmer for 20 mins with a lid on, I added the chopped broccoli at the beggining and half a cup of chicken bits. and when it was nearly ready I added 2 tbsp parmesan (I also added cheese powder thanks to mommy but you can't get it in the UK!)
If its too wet cook on low with lid off for a few minutes longer.
DS and OH couldn't tell it was any different from normal :D
It doesn't look over exciting but the mix of pasta and rice is lovely. Winter stodge at its best. And NO, I'm not going to tell them it wasn't the box stuff because they'll suddenly decide they didn't like it! And there's alot of broccoli in the field to eat! And the roast veg is lovely with the honey and mustard, even DS clears it!
Next time I'm gonna use less orzo, maybe half a cup as we have leftovers (not that its a bad thing!) and the orzo is more expensive than basic rice!
PS. Chicken..if you're reading this...I am definitely NOT going near those scales after eating this! Even without my wellies on ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment