Pages

Thursday 20 February 2014

The fairy remembers home economics

This is the book I had for home economics when I was at school in the (very) early 1980's. No, I didn't pinch it, we all had to buy our books (poor mum) but the school still liked to put its mark on everything (and it definitely left its mark on me!!)
Notice 'home economics', not cookery. Mre Gribbon taught us everything kitchen. From how to wash up properly to laying a table for afternoon tea. Half fat to flour for pastry (lard for flavour girls and butter for colour). And it all stuck. I still wouldn't dream of washing a glass after a plate.
Want to know what school...and this is a good one...it should bring a smile...
Convent girl!!! Yes, beret's in the winter, boaters in the summer and sensible shoes :)
But thats not the point really, my point is we were taught to cook properly. Full meal planning...costing...
cleaning...
and even..mending!
After 30 odd years I still own this book, Still read it from time to time. Still makes sense.
My DD did cookery, so did my DS. Neither of them learnt a thing! Why does cookery at school now not teach children how to cook, budget and mend, in a time when thses things are even more important?
DD didn't pay attention when I tried to teach her to cook. DS does. He can cook three main courses, numerous light lunches, biscuits and cakes. And he helps with pickles. And jammin, and drying.
Guess the soup..well done! Celery!! Aldi super six soup!
BBS x

No comments:

Post a Comment