Pages

Monday 24 March 2014

Herman, fairy style

Herman -
I'll tell you what I do...not what the recipe says, as it works for me!!
2 cups lukewarm water,
2 cups flour (plain)
a good teaspoon of dried yeast.
Mix it all up, stir every day.
Its supposed to be feed every 5th day with 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar.
Its not a true sourdough, but it is an everlasting yeast. And if you keep it going it tastes like sourdough :) and acts like it.
I tend to start it off, then a couple of days later I feed it..next day use it...then feed it after I've taken any. I rarely feed it the right amount! And its very forgiving!!
I was told to keep it in anything but metal, and not to use metal utensils. And keep it loosly covered so it can breathe.
I'll post the actual roll recipe tomorrow as I'm supposed to be working!!
BBS x

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I'll give it a go, as I need to make bread later this week. Final question: How much would you use of Herman at a time. I use 2lb of flour at a time - would I use say two cups of Herman or just one do you think, to that amount of flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing 2 cups...I never weigh anything, Lazy aint I! And I'm very haphazard..but it works for me! I have posted the recipe I use...hope it helps x

    ReplyDelete