Pages

Wednesday 12 March 2014

The fairy has sprung a leek

Last night in the bath I was reading my lovely WW2 cookbook by Marguerite Patten looking for inspiration for 'Live below the line'. And there were some interesting recipes involving leeks. Well, as we have leeks left I wandered off and filled my basket.
Too many leeks, so I decided to dehydrate some...but the smell after I'd chopped them up ready was overpowering, so they were sent outside for being such stinky leeks!

Poor things got lonely in the shed, so when they were less stinky I brought them back in the house!
Anyhoo..
First I thought I'd try Oat pastry..
12 oz plain flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
4 oz oats
3oz fat (lard in my case!)
Interesting consistency when rubbing in...kinda gritty! Yum..

Fillling next, with too many L's it would seem.
As these are supposed to be bacon turnovers I decided they would have to be ham turnovers as that what was in the freezer near the top.
So, 8oz mashed potato (no butter)
2 large leeks chopped finely,
2 tbsp chopped parsley
and 4oz ham (that should have been bacon)
and pepper..

Roll out the pastry, fairly thick, keeping in mind its supposed to make 4...
Pretty!!! Then turnover the top and seal with water!
25 mins in a hot, 210 degree oven and...
They didn't exactly brown alot..but...they were cooked just fine...and...

They were very nice...especially with a little googlygag relish!
And leeks are very good for you, prebiotic don't you know :) So these turnovers were healthy, low fat as not much in the pastry, more veg than anything else! And OH ate them and LIKED them!
BBS x

No comments:

Post a Comment