Pages

Monday 17 March 2014

Semi Subsistence Fairies Challenge

This is the first trailer load of wood we were given, for free :) Just thought I'd share!
What do you think of when you hear the term subsistence farming? Do you, like me, think of Africa? Well this is its definition:
subsistence farming
(noun)
1. farming whose products are intended to provide for the basic needs of the farmer, with little
surplus for marketing. 2. farming that brings little or no profit to the farmer, allowing only for a marginal livelihood.
Well theres a thing.
After a little reading I figured out that WE are a semi-subsistance farm. We earn just enough by selling our surplus to pay the bills and as you may have noticed we eat alot of what we grow. Alot.
In the UK. In 2014.
Not Africa.
This in turn led me to thinking of 'the hungry gap'.
That time of year when there isn't alot in the fields.
Aka the next three months. April, May and most of June.
Aka the time of year when I earn next to NOTHING. Zero. Ziltch.
(I make up the money the busy time of year but it makes it no less of a problem, knowing that I should have put money by for the gap)
So, I'm gonna challenge myself and my menfolk.
Just in April.
Live on the money we earn and the things we have stored.
I have a fortnight to prepare!! Maybe I'll buy some extra marg. And sugar. And still keep in this weeks budget? Hmm maybe not.
This month I put the budget for food on our kitchen noticeboard...eventually both men asked 'Whats that?'
Thats our food budget.
'Why is it on there?'
Because I normally do it online, but I wanted it where I could keep an eye on it easier.
What I didn't say was where you pair can see just how much your 'can I haves' and 'I'll just put this in's cost.
Thing is it hasn't worked out that way. After the initial asking I don't think they've paid it any attention. Well, it was worth a try!
BBS x I have food to show you!

No comments:

Post a Comment