Pages

Friday 28 March 2014

The Wheelbarrow Fairies April Challenge


The April Challenge:

I work on a smallholding. Which means my hours round to 16 a week.
But this time of year its nearer 4 hours a week. Or 2.
Self employed, just under minimum wage.
This time next year DS will have left college. So no tax credits.
I can't be a magician and conjour up more work hours.
I can't make the land more productive.
I can't charge more for what I grow. I tried that before. I put the prices up 10p a thing. No one bought them. So things are now 50p. And thats what they'll have to stay. Even though everything I have to buy goes up.
We already eat ALOT of what we grow, we are semi subsistence farmers.
But April, May and some of June are the 'hungry gap'. Things aren't quite ready and old things have finished.
Not alot if anything left to sell. Not alot of money to be made.
Through the year I preserve alot of things, dehydrate, can, freeze and coldstore.
And when I have money I stock up.
This challenge is for me to figure, while I still have a little back up, what is the most useful things for me to really stock up on.
And I want the menfolk to realise what money I actually have, that I'm not a never ending source of can I have's.
 
So, those are the reasons for the challenge.
And this is the challenge:
For April, we will live on whats in the freezers, the shelves, the sheds. Anything else can be bought only with the money I have earnt.
(If I earn nothing there is a 'below the line' slush fund of £15 a week as there are 3 of us)
So, it may be £30, or it may be nothing. It depends.
I already have a month mealplan on the planning board!
And for evening meals and breakfasts all we need is milk.
There's alot of flour and baking ingredients on the shelves.
Lets see what I learn!!
If I earn anything I'll say, and if I spend anything ditto.
So far in March 1 wholesaler has finished, and 2 market stalls.
And it gets worse...watch this space!! It starts Monday, as April is tuesday!!
BBS x

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you need to take them shopping, or get them to shop and pay. About to cook the bread but it is just too sloppy to work, even with the extra cup of flour. I have spooned it into deep muffin tins and will make buns that way. And yes, I did follow your instructions. I can make marvellous normal bread, but anything else doesn't seem to go right. Ah well, onwards and upwards. I am determined to succeed. Good luck with your challenge. We are also eating from the freezers this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it was at least edible!! I'm gonna have a go at bread tonight:) you've inspired me to go beyond rolls! And maybe some more nettle soup is called for too. x

      Delete