Pages

Saturday 19 April 2014

potatoes, potatoes, potatoes..

Is that overuse of the word potatoes?? Well, there a reason for that...potatoes!!!!!
Care to play 'guess how many rows we planted'...


Any Ideas???
Looks alot doesn't it? And theres more to do on tuesday! I'll tell you at the end!
Well, today started off with fertilizing. I dislike chemical fertilizers and prefer green manures, but we needed a little so...
Spready spready :)
Then it was time to get the planter out of its ancient shed..which an apple tree had grown over..oops blossom!
A gift for my fellow planter...this is the fabulous 1950/60's machine!
Isn't it a beauty!! And simple too. The potatoes get dumped in the green bin at the top, then me and fellow planter take them one at a time and plop them in the little cups...
These go round and drop the potatoes into the ground, which then get covered by the dics :) Simple!! But look at the seats..
MMMM comfy!! bare metal! So we have our special seat covers...
Oh the joy of old hessian sacks...so many uses (including in the past rag rug making).
So are we ready????
Tis me and DS:D He borrowed my spare overalls and everyone thought we looked like hillbillies!!
So off we went and planted and planted. It was windy today, the potatoes were dusty and strawy. And we both ended up with grit where grit shouldnt get!!
This is a VERY grubby, gritty DS:) I think the potato planting may have sent him slightly insane:D
It gives us hours of quality time together and we do it every year. You'd be amazed at what we talk about but don't ask what a soggy biscuit is...i wish I hadn't asked :-S
Well..all day..nearly...and so far there are...44 rows!! I gotta pick all them when they are grown up!!
And earnt - zero, spent - £1. OH bought the top up shopping!! And as he was worried my cress looked a bit sad he bought me TWO punnets so I could have birthday egg and cress sandwiches on monday!!
BBS x

2 comments:

  1. My, that is a lot of potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its my favourite starch!! And definitely our staple foodstuff :) Mo x

    ReplyDelete